A few weeks ago, Bailey of Jailey Bean nominated me for the Liebster Award! I am so unbelievably flattered and excited – it’s nice to know that other people out there actually read my blog, and think it is good enough be nominated for anything!
The Liebster Award is an online award passed from blogger to blogger, with people nominating fellow bloggers who have a smaller following. It helps build community, recognition for new bloggers and helps readers to discover new bloggers. Once nominated, you list 11 facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions posed by the blogger who nominated you.
So here we go!
Facts about myself:
- For a few months one summer I worked at Starbucks – I’m a certified barista!
- During college, I studied abroad for one semester in London and would love to go back.
- I’m left-handed.
- I was born on October 29th, so I love anything and everything about Halloween.
- My mom and I have matching tattoos – the coordinates of Pittsburgh, where we were both born and raised. Mine is on my right foot, her’s on her ankle.
- I am a member of a weekly corn hole league here in NYC.
- During college, I was a member of a sorority and still remain active in the New York City alumni group.
- I am slowly trying to learn calligraphy.
- I was a vegetarian for about 3 years, and still rarely eat red meat.
- I am one of two children – I have one younger brother
- I love to bake and am constantly trying new cookie recipes.
- Why did you start your blog?
I started my blog as a way to continue my writing after college. I studied journalism, so was constantly writing in college for classes and internships, and didn’t have as much to write about once I moved to New York. But as I was exploring the city and learning about all of these amazing new places, event and opportunities, I decided to compile all of my thoughts, photographs and discoveries in one place – and The Naturalized New Yorker was born!
- If you could visit any city in the world, what city would it be & why?
I’m been overcome by wanderlust lately, so this is a tough question. I’d have to say that I would head to Hungary. Budapest has been on my list for a while now, and I’m itching to travel somewhere a little outside of Europe
- What is your dream job?
I’m not sure, exactly. I love the write, and I get to write daily at my job now, which I love. I wish there was a way I could incorporate editorial and copywriting all into one, and do that for a living, in-house, for a brand and not an agency. I’m not sure if this type of writing/copywriting exists, but if it does that would be it.
- Where do you foresee your blog a year from now?
I’ve really made an effort recently to expand the blog content – I fell off of the wagon for a bit over the summer after moving and starting a new job. I’m hoping to continue posting more frequently and include more varied coverage on The Naturalized New Yorker. And hopefully a few sponsored posts and collaborations coming soon – there are even a few currently in the works! (Stay tuned)
- Who is your favorite artist/band?
I know this is a cop out, but I don’t really have one favorite band. I love most genres of music, except for house music and EDM. If I had to pick, I’d say my favorite is indie/folk-ish rock music – think Mumford & Sons, the Avett Brothers, Bon Iver, etc.
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what food would you choose?
- What is your favorite post that you have written? (Include the link, too!)
I think my favorite so far was attending the Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s annual cherry blossom festival. The setting is amazing and the flowers were stunning. Plus, who doesn’t love New York in the springtime?
Read it here.
- How did you decide on your blog’s name?
I mentioned to my roommate that I wanted to start a blog focused around my adventures in New York and learning new things about the city. Naturally (no pun intended) New York had to be incorporated into the name somehow. From there, the name just came to me.
- How do you like to spend your spare time?
A lot of my spare time is spent on this blog! I work full time, writing the posts, editing photos and even going to actual events and restaurants often take up my weekend and evenings. A lot of the time, the places I write about I would visit anyway with friends, but it’s nice to have a reason to attend new and exciting places around the city.
- What is your favorite quote & why?
I think my favorite saying would be “Good things come to those who hustle.” It reminds me that you have to work hard for anything you want – you can’t just wait for someone to hand it to you.
- What advice would you give to beginner bloggers?
My best piece of advice would be to stick with it! Sometimes it can be discouraging when no one reads your blog and you’re not getting the traction you’re after. But consistent material, quality photos and writing and social media promotion can go a long way towards building a follower base. Don’t give up!
After looking at many blogs and falling deep into the internet rabbit-hole, I’ve chosen to nominate the below bloggers for the Liebster Award:
- The Curious Button
Elena’s blog is beautifully laid out and focuses on ethically conscious lifestyle products – she has a ton of easy tips to be more environmentally friendly. Plus, her Instagram feed is great – check it out here.
Laurie’s blog has amazing tips for saving and making money! Plus, the site itself is simply and beautifully organized. Take a look!
- The Cats and Coffee
Hannah’s site features a little bit of everything – book reviews, blogging tips, and adorable photos of her cat!
- Evanescent Escape
With everything from beauty review to blogging tips, Evanescent Escape has a ton of useful content, plus a beautiful layout.
- Glow and Polish
The food photography on this blog is to die for! Glow and Polish features eye-catching colors, elegant composition and well-written content.
- Closet Full of Cocktails
Chelsea’s blog is so aesthetically pleasing – she uses a clean, easy-to-navigate layout and large colorful photograhs.
- Miss Olivia Says
Olivia’s blog is a wonderful combination of fashion, food and lifestyle. I love her personal style!
- XO Beverly
Beverly’s site has wonderful photography, and love her sense of style! Check out the newest, monochromatic blue post – so chic!
Here are my 11 questions for the bloggers I have nominated:
- Why did you start blogging?
- Where do you see your blog a year from now? What do you want to accomplish?
- What big-name bloggers you idolize or look to for inspiration?
- Where is your favorite city/place?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is your dream job?
- If you could invite three people – alive or dead – to dinner, who would they be?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
- If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would buy?
- What is your favorite emoji?